Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Sponge Blog

No doubt you've heard about the latest flap from the Religious Right that SpongeBob Squarepants promotes tolerance for homosexuals. Tolerance--there's an unChristian value. First it was Bert and Ernie, then the Teletubbies, now SpongeBob. What does the Religious Right have against stoner-friendly kids shows?

Seriously, I'm not going to dignify putting the name of this moron in my blog (the links I've included name names). His slurs were covered in the New York Times because he was wearing formal wear and paid a lot of money to attend an inaugural ball for George W. Bush. Shit. Put this same jerk on the street corner and his homophobic remarks wouldn't even draw a crowd. Every day I have better, more tolerant ideas than this jerk, but I haven't been reported in the New York Times (as far as I know).

Maureen Dowd's January 23rd op-ed
piece on the subject (hurry link is only good for 2 more days, then you have to pay for the article) draws a comparison between SpongeBob, champion of tolerance, and "SpongeBush", champion of preemptive war under false pretenses. Why haven't we heard any complaints from the Christian Right about G.I. Joe? Shipwreck looks like a member of the Village People, but as long as he's killing COBRA in his white sailor's hat, he's OK. If G.I. Joe were to stop glorifying war and start negotiations with COBRA in the interest of building a peaceful, harmonious world, then just watch the homophobic accusations fly.

Bottom line is, this bigot wanted some press and he got what he wanted: I wrote a blog entry condemning him and his bigotry.

The price of media exposure is eternal vigilance against possible homosexuality in cartoon characters.

No comments: