Friday, April 08, 2005

Sight Unseen: April 8, 2005

Continuing the Friday series of reviews of movies I haven't seen.

Sahara
"Sahara, storms are brewing in your eyes"
The trailer for this movie makes me thirsty. Expect theater soft drink sales for Sahara to reach Gandhi and Ishtar levels.


Fever Pitch
Fuck Jimmy Fallon. The Farrelly Brothers could have done much, much better.
I can't believe my beloved St. Louis Cardinals became the losers in a baseball movie (and in the 2004 World Series). I would use the world "immortalized", but c'mon, it's doubtful this flick will have the lasting appeal of a Major League or Bull Durham (or even an Angels in the Outfield or Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch).

Since last October, I've seen more Red Sox hats in Philadelphia than Phillies hats. During the 2004 Series, every Phillies fan I know switched their allegiance to the BoSox and rooted against my Cardinals. Some pretended to love Curt Schilling and Francona (what, no love for Scott Rolen or Marlon Anderson), while others just wanted to see an end to "the Curse of the Bambino". Turncoats. The same people who wanted an end to the Red Sox World Series drought are the same jerks hoping the Cubs win the World Series.

And I hate the Cubs.

At what point is it OK to abandon your purported favorite team and root for another? April 1 (always a good time for Devil Ray fans, if there are any)? The All-Star break (probably a good time for Orioles fans with the division they're in)? August (about the time the Phillies start making their late-season run to nowhere)? October? Never?

Didn't this start out as a movie review? Fever Pitch: I'll see it on Comedy Central.

2 comments:

mapletree7 said...

Isn't the answer 'whenever they are playing against the Yankees'?

mapletree7 said...

Isn't the answer 'whenever they are playing against the Yankees'?