Friday, April 22, 2005

Sight Unseen: April 22, 2005

Continuing the Friday series of reviews of movies I haven't seen.

Kung Fu Hustle
With little to go on but my own instincts, I predict Kung Fu Hustle is going to be an outstanding piece of cinema. The trailer features three can't miss ingredients: ass kicking, choreographed ass kicking, and prominent use of the song, "Ballroom Blitz". Remember when Tia Carrere covered "Ballroom Blitz" for the first Wayne's World movie? Didn't we all have her pegged for stardom? Her first misstep was playing a character named "Jingo" in the abysmal flick Rising Sun (the book, which I sadly read after Jurassic Park, relied even more heavily on xenophobia and stereotypes of the Japanese for plot development). From there it was a long slow slide into Relic Hunter.


The Interpreter
When a movie is boasting about where it was shot (at the real U.N.???!!! Oh! My! God!), you know there's something wrong with it.

No comments: