Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Live 8 Tracks: Number 5

Leading up to Live 8 on July 2nd, I'm counting down 8 of my favorite live tracks.

#5: "Suicide Solution (with guitar solo)"
-Ozzy Osbourne, Tribute (Sony)

Just the fact that Ozzy sang, "Food, glorious food" backstage at the Philadelphia Live Aid concert in 1985 qualifies him for inclusion on this Live 8-inspired list.

"Wine is fine, but whiskey's quicker/Suicide is slow with liquor."

Is there a better song to listen to while drinking in a dive? I don't think so. How many quarters did I spend (notice I didn't write "waste") playing this song on the jukebox at the East End Tavern* in Manayunk? So many fuzzy evenings. So many excellent conversations.

The guitar solo on "Suicide Solution" comes at the very end of the song. The song is essentially over...and then the solo begins. While Rhoads is out there shredding, the rest of the band takes a Spinal Tap break for beers.

The inside cover of Tribute bears this inscription:

"This is a tribute to my friend and my partner. Not a day goes by when I don't think of him. He is dearly missed."

-Ozzy Osbourne

That is a damn fine thing to say about a person. Tribute is a reminder that life is short, and it immortalizes the performances of a brilliant guitarist. Isn't that the purpose of a live album?

Lift your glass to Mr. Randy Rhoads.

*Does anyone remember the show mentioned in this link? I never saw it, but it's creeping me out that it was called Mr. Rhodes and the jukebox at the East End Tavern stocked Tribute. Different spelling of "Rhodes/Rhoads", but still weird.

1 comment:

Greycats said...

I love Ozzy, sigh before the t.v. show and the dolls, sigh.