Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Cease and De-Sixth!

How better to celebrate Philadelphia’s music scene than by calling it a New York suburb?

That’s the thinking over at Plain Parade, which just released a compilation of Philadelphia musicians entitled: Songs from the Sixth Borough.

Note to Plain Parade: The title for your Philadelphia comp is just plain awful. For shame. I expect this kind of misrepresentation from Jessica “My Chin Is the 6th Borough” Pressler, but I didn’t think you would market Philadelphia as a New York suburb.

Philebrity clued me in that Pressler’s fucked up, completely inaccurate NY Times article about Philadelphia was referenced on the Gilmore Girls. Who knew that that pile of dog shit would stink so long?

Memo to Ms. Pressler: Stop misrepresenting my town.

Half-assed letter of application to the
New York Times: Dear Venerable Establishment of the Main Stream Media: I humbly offer my services to cover Philadelphia without blatant distortion of facts or comparing it to New York at every turn. In my coverage, I won’t sell Philly short in order to promote an agenda of mass exodus from the Big Apple (admit it, Pressler was just a tool in your grand scheme to get people to move out of your city, so you have a little extra sidewalk space). Thanking you in advance for the word and liquor money.

Sincerely, Jesse D’s nuts (take that apostrophe any way you like it).

Am I the only person in Philadelphia who rankles at these constant attempts to ingratiate Philly with New York? Does it not dawn on those who call this town the 6th Borough that they are selling Philadelphia’s independence (and indie rock) short? Oh, I get it. It’s just fun and no one takes it seriously, so I shouldn’t get worked up over it. Maybe I should just have a good time and let a $10
appletini at Glam melt my cares away. Horseshit. The joke isn’t funny anymore (and I’m not convinced it ever was). Philly represent.

1 comment:

MTS said...

Hi Jesse -

Maria from Plain Parade here, taking note of your memo. Upon first read, I too was insulted by the "sixth borough" moniker. Growing up in New Jersey, it was textbook knowledge that the sixth borough was really Hoboken/Jersey City. So, if I followed that form of logic, Philly would really be the seventh borough. However, no one would laugh or pay attention if we called our compilation "Songs from the Seventh Borough", you know?

So rather than get all salty and continue seething about the phrase, we decided it would be better to poke fun of it by adopting the title. Frankly, we like Philly the way it is.

Nothing but love
-m.